A baked side dish with carrot, fennel, red onion and feta.
Directions for: Roasted Root Jumble with Feta
- ¼ cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into 1/2″ wedges
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2″ wedges
- 1 large lemon, cut into 1/4″ slices
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2″ rounds
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Minced fresh cilantro or parsley, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Place the hazelnuts in an ovenproof skillet. Place them in the oven to toast for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool and roughly chop.
3. In the same skillet, lightly toast the coriander and cumin on the stove over low heat, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool. Grind the cumin and coriander along with the chopped toasted hazelnuts in a spice grinder.
4. Increase the oven temperature to 375ºF.
5. Lay the fennel, red onion, lemon and carrots in a baking dish. Drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the hazelnut and spice mixture and toss to coat. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the top and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until the vegetables are caramelized and soft.
6. Garnish with a drizzle of olive and sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.