This low-calorie breakfast scramble is high in fiber and protein. The lemon jus adds a little brightness. Serve with whole-wheat toast to round out the meal.
Directions for: Vegan Tofu and Spinach Scramble
- 1 14-oz package firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
- 1 parts separated, white
- 5 oz fresh spinach, chopped (about 5 packed cups)
- 1 – 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
1. Combine the tofu, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne if using in a medium bowl. Toss well to combine and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Add the tofu mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is lightly browned and resembles scrambled eggs, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the spinach, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and scallion greens and stir until the tomatoes are just heated through and begin to soften, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the basil and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.